Daniel Alvarez Jr, commonly known as Danny Alvarez is a Brazilian jiu jitsu black belt, and a representative of both Alvarez BJJ and the Bruno Bastos Association. A devoted competitor in the sport’s Masters competitive circuit, Danny Alvarez is also one of the most prolific instructors in Texas, having produced IBJJF Pan American, European and World champions, one being his daughter Danielle Alvarez, who has also established herself as one of the most talented grapplers of her generation.
Danny Alvarez Jiu Jitsu
Full Name: Daniel Victor Alvarez Jr
Nickname: Danny, short for Daniel.
- World No-Gi Champion (2015 Master 2, 2013/2012/2011 Senior 1)
- Brazilian National Champion (2015 Master 2)
- Worlds Masters Champion (2014 Master 2, 2012 Senior 1)
- Pan American Champion (2007 brown Master, 2012 Senior 1)
- Pan American No-Gi Champion (2014 Master 1)
- European Open Champion (2012 Senior 1)
- American Nationals Champion (2014/2013/2012 Master)
- American Nationals No-Gi Champion (2013 Master, 2012 Senior 1)
- European No-Gi Open Champion (2013 Master)
- Abu Dhabi Pro – San Diego Trials Champion (2012 weight + absolute)
- Word Cup Champion – CBJJO (2010)
- Rome Open Champion (2013 Master)
- US National Pro Champion – UAEJJF (2015 Master)
- Santa Cruz BJJ Pro Champion (2015 Master 1)
- Abu Dhabi World Pro Runner-up (2015 Master 2)
- Asian Open Championship Runner-up (2013 Senior 1)
- World No-Gi championship Runner-up (2014 Master 1)
- Worlds Masters Runner-up (2015 Master 2)
- European Open Runner-up (2016 Master 3, 2015 Master 2)
- Pan American Championship Runner-up (2016 Master 3, 2012 Master)
- Rio International Open Runner-up (2012 Senior 1)
- Pan American Championship 3rd Place (2015 Master 2, 2013 Senior, 2010 Master)
- Pan American No-Gi Championship 3rd Place (2010 Master)
- Masters International Championship 3rd Place (2015 Master 2, 2013 Senior 1)
- European Open 3rd Place (2014 Master 2)
- Santa Cruz BJJ Pro 3rd Place (2015 Master 1 absolute)
- Asian Open Championship 3rd Place (2014 Master 2)
- American Nationals 3rd Place (2010)
Favorite Position/Technique: Bow and arrow choke
Weight Division: Peso Pena (70kg/154lbs)
Team/Association: Alvarez BJJ/Bruno Bastos Association
Danny Alvarez Biography
Daniel Alvarez Junior was born on March 11, 1975 in Saginaw, Michigan – United States of America.
Combat sports entered Alvarez’ life when he was 16 years old, a time when he started wrestling. Danny wrestled throughout his junior and senior high school years, after which he went on to pursue boxing.
As an 18 year old martial arts fan, Danny became inspired by Royce Gracie‘s accomplishments during the first UFC (1993). Seeing a smaller athlete such as Royce defeating bigger and stronger opponents, drew Alvarez’s eyes to Jiu Jitsu. Unfortunately it took quite some time for jiu jitsu to find its way to Saginaw, Michigan.
Submission grappling finally arrived at Saginaw in 1997-1998. Alvarez’ first instructor was Gary Hausbeck, a taekwondo black belt who also had a blue belt in BJJ. The main focus of Hausbeck’s gym was taekwondo, and there weren’t many classes offered for grappling. As a result Danny would take what he learned there and use it to train with friends anywhere he could.
In 2001 Alvarez relocated to Arlington, Texas where he finally began training under a legitimate jiu jitsu black belt, Mr Orland Waugh. Due to his prior experiences with the martial art, Danny was promoted to blue belt within 6 months.
Although coach Waugh’s academy was not strongly geared towards competition, something Alvarez was hooked on from early on, Danny stood by his coach through all belts, including his black belt, earned on December 8, 2007, going on on to open his own academy the following year.
In 2010 the IBJJF changed its rulebook. From there on, all black belt athletes were required to have a 2nd Degree (or higher ranked) instructor to certify their grade if they were to compete in the federation’s circuit. As coach Waugh was not interested in associating with the IBJJF at the time. For that reason Alvarez chose to move on in order to continue his competitive ambitions, finding in Bruno Bastos the perfect solution for his predicament.
It would be Bastos who awarded Alvarez both his 2nd and 3rd black belt degrees.
ALVAREZ BJJ address:
1118 W. Harris Rd., Suite 102
Arlington, TX 76001
Danny Alvarez vs Daniel Rivas
Danny Alvarez vs Felipe Costa
Danny Alvarez vs Rodrigo Pagani
Danny Alvarez vs Bernardo Pitel
Danny Alvarez vs Jeff Messina (open weight)