Bruno Bastos is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt under Wendell Alexander, famed for his involvement with the 2x world champion team Nova Uniao, a team he separated from in 2014. An avid competitor in Submission Wrestling, having fought in some of the greatest No-Gi tournament in the world such as the ADCC and Grapplers Quest, Bastos is a charity activist having formed projects that commit to taking youngsters off the streets.
Bruno Bastos Jiu Jitsu
Full Name: Bruno Bastos Cruz
- CBJJE World Cup Champion (2010, 2009, 2007)
- CBJJE World Champion (2008)
- IBJJF Master and Seniors World Champion (2013)
- IBJJF World No-Gi Champion (2012 weight & absolute masters div)
- IBJJF Pan American Champion (2011 masters div)
- CBJJO Brazilian Cup Champion (2007, 2002)
- IBJJF Rio International Open Champion (2008)
- IBJJF NY International Open Champion (2010)
- CBJJO World Cup Runner-up (2002)
- IBJJF Pan American Championship Runner-up (2013 weight & absolute masters div)
- IBJJF World Championship 3rd Place (2010)
- IBJJF World No-Gi Championship 3rd Place (2010, 2013)
- CBJJO World Cup 3rd Place (2002 absolute, 2004)
- IBJJF Master and Seniors World Championship 3rd Place (2014)
- Grapplers Quest All-Star Championship 3rd Place (2009)
- Grapplers Quest 32 Best Man 4th Place (2010)
Weight Division: Super Pesado (Super Heavyweight) 100.5kg/221lbs
Favourite Position/Technique: Half Guard
Bruno Bastos Team/Association: Bruno Bastos Association
Bruno Bastos Biography
Bruno Bastos was born on the 27th of March, 1980. He started training jiu jitsu in 1990 when he was 10 under Neury Gomes, and he stayed training under Neury for the next year and a half. He then picked up training with Aílson Brites for a short spell before finally ending with Wendell Alexander (in 1993) the coach that followed Bruno until he reached his black belt.
Bruno Bastos’s career has been pretty impressive from the “get go”, he started competing when he was still a yellow belt achieving the podium straight away, and he hasn’t stopped reaching the top spots of competitive BJJ since. Another peculiarity of Bruno is the “Bastos” surname, a name of some significance in jiu jitsu, as 6 of his family members also train and compete, they are Fernanda ( black belt), André (black belt), Ricardo (black belt), Bianca (black belt), Thiago and Felipe Bastos.
Just like his master, Wendell, Bruno Bastos is also involved in charity. In 2005 he created an organization called “Arte Suave”, an organization that tries to keep kids away from drugs through jiu jitsu. He was also involved in the creation of the “Projeto Atos”, a project that started with Bruno Bastos and a few other Nova Uniao students that got together through their evangelic church.
Bruno Bastos x Eduardo Milioli