Karen Antunes is a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Mayko Araújo, being also one of the top athletes in the sport’s female lightweight class. Antunes paved her way to the big leagues of the sport in the lower belt divisions, where she conquered 3 IBJJF world titles (1x gi and 2x no-gi) among many other important placements. However, it was her performance at the prestigious Five Super League tournament on August 2015 that put her on the map of the mainstream of BJJ by defeating former world champions Luiza Monteiro and Nijah Rollins on her way to the final, cementing her position as one of the top grappling competitors of her generation.
Karen Antunes Jiu-Jitsu
Full Name: Karen Deisy Antunes Girotto Borges
- IBJJF World Champion (2018)
- IBJJF World No-Gi Champion (2015)
- IBJJF Pan American Champion (2018)
- IBJJF Pan American Championship 2nd Place (2016)
- Five Super League Tournament 2nd Place (2015)
Main Achievements (Colored Belts):
- IBJJF World Champion (2012 purple)
- IBJJF World No-Gi Champion (2013 brown, 2012 purple)
- IBJJF Pan American Champion (2014 brown)
- CBJJ Brazilian National Champion (2014 brown, 2013 purple)
- IBJJF European Champion (2013 brown)
- IBJJF World Championship 2nd Place (2014 brown)
- IBJJF World No-Gi Championship 2nd Place (2014 brown)
- IBJJF Pan American Championship 2nd Place (2014 brown)
- IBJJF World No-Gi Championship 3rd Place (2012* purple)
- IBJJF European Championship 3rd Place (2013* brown)
- IBJJF Pan American Championship 3rd Place (2014* brown)
Favorite Position/Technique: Guard Passing
Weight Division: Peso Leve (64kg/141lbs)
Karen Antunes Biography
Karen Antunes was born on the 9th of December 1985 in Brasília, Brazil.
Antunes first heard about jiu-jitsu from her brother, a troubled boy who used jiu-jitsu to stay out of trouble. It was through the fact that jiu-jitsu helped keep Karen’s older brother off drugs for extended periods of time that this sport gained the young teenager’s respect.
Unfortunately for the Antunes family, her brother did pass away prematurely and Karen spent years grieving the loss of her brother. After a lengthy period of time, encouraged by her younger sister, Karen decided to give grappling a try, first entering a jiu-jitsu academy in April 2009. The connection with grappling was immediately felt.
Karen’s first and only coach throughout her career was Mayko Araújo, who also became Antunes’ husband. After being extremely successful in jiu jitsu’s competitive environment, Karen was awarded her black belt, on the 28th of July, 2014.
After years of traveling to the US to compete in the sport’s top events, Karen and her husband Mayko moved to America, settling in Minnesota where they opened an academy.
Banner picture was taken by GrappleTV.
Karen Antunes vs Leanna Dittrich
Karen Antunes vs Unknown