Kristina Barlaan is a Brazilian jiu jitsu black belt under Caio Terra, having also trained extensively with Gustavo Dantas. Widely regarded as one of her generation’s main light-featherweight BJJ competitors, Barlaan’s reputation was earned through important wins in some of the sport’s prime tournaments, particularly in the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation (IBJJF) circuit,where she won Asian, European and Pan American titles.
Kristina Barlaan Jiu Jitsu
Full Name: Kristina Sofia Puruganan Barlaan
- IBJJF European Open Champion (2016)
- IBJJF Asian Open Champion (2018)
- IBJJF American National No-Gi Champion (2015)
- IBJJF Pan American Championship 2nd Place (2016/2017)
- IBJJF American National Championship 3rd Place (2015*)
Main Achievements (Colored Belts):
- IBJJF Pan American Champion (2010 blue, 2013/2014/2015 brown)
- IBJJF American National Champion (2012 purple, 2014 brown)
- IBJJF American National No-Gi Champion (2009**/2010 blue)
- IBJJF World Championship 2nd Place (2012*)
- IBJJF World No-Gi Championship 2nd Place (2014 brown)
- IBJJF Pan American Championship 2nd Place (2012 purple)
- IBJJF American National Championship 2nd Place (2011 purple)
- IBJJF American National No-Gi Championship 2nd Place (2011 purple)
- IBJJF World Championship 3rd Place (2010 blue, 2012 purple, 2013/2014/2015 brown)
- IBJJF World No-Gi Championship 3rd Place (2013 brown)
- IBJJF Pan American Championship 3rd Place (2010* blue, 2011 purple, 2013* brown)
- IBJJF American National Championship 3rd Place (2011* purple)
- IBJJF American National No-Gi Championship 3rd Place (2011* purple)
** Weight and Absolute
Favorite Position/Technique: Open Guard
Weight Division: Peso Pluma (53kg/118lbs)
Kristina Barlaan Biography
Kristina Barlaan was born on August 20, 1986 in Martinez (Califórnia) – USA.
Kristina’s introduction to martial arts was made through muay Thai at the age of 20. The Thai boxing classes happened to be inside a Jiu-Jitsu school – Cesar Gracie‘s Gracie Fighter Academy.
After a year of training solely muay Thai, one of Barlaan’s teammates encouraged her to try a jiu jitsu class with Caio Terra, who had recently joined the Gracie Fighter academy as the grappling head coach. Under Caio’s tutelage Kristina quickly understood the potential of jiu jitsu, particularly when going up against larger opponents, then becoming a dedicated grappling student.
After being promoted to blue belt by Terra and Cesar Gracie, Kristina moved to Arizona. There she continued her jiu jitsu training with the famous Gustavo Dantas – also known as the “BJJ Mental Coach”. Barlaan competed extensively for Dantas under the Nova Uniao banner, earning her purple and brown belt from the hands of the revered coach.
8 Months after her brown belt promotion Kristina returned to California and resumed her training under Caio Terra’s guidance, who would award Barlaan her black belt on June 2015.
Kristina Barlaan vs Pati Fontes