JULY 18, 2020, Austin – Texas, set the scene for the 147th edition of Fight 2 Win, one of the main professional jiu-jitsu promotions in the sport.
As per usual, the show offered high-level entertainment, particularly in the final portion of the card, with top-notch grappling and a solid rate of submissions finishes as shown by the stats below:
22 Recorded Matches – 12 submissions (54.5% sub rate)
12 Gi Matches – 7 submissions (58% sub rate)
10 No-Gi Matches – 5 submissions (50% sub rate)
You will find the full results and our commentary on a few of the more important matches on the card here:
A brave performance by Johnatha, who is a lightweight but accepted to compete against the larger “Riba” for the F2W middleweight strap. Alves’ gameplan was clear from the get-go, pull guard and Crab-Ride his way on to Manuel’s back, or come up on a leg-drag and achieve the back from there. He almost succeeded.
Johnatha Alves conquered most of the positional battles and did get the sweep to side-control/leg-drag. Unfortunately, this was on the limit of the mat and the referee did poorly on the reset, placing Alves back into Ribamar’s tricky guard.
Ribamar played well to the F2W rules, jumping on a few “ghost” footlocks. The attacks weren’t dangerous enough to worry Alves, yet, they were strategically sound and scored points in the eyes of the judges. These eventually led to Manuel’s arm being raised.
This was a fun, technical match between the very best jiu-jitsu has to offer.
Another solid performance by the veteran American grappler who once again proved why he is widely regarded as one of the country’s most talented jiu-jitsu fighters of all time. Even though Helton’s past has proven him to be one of the savviest defensive competitors in the sport, Lovato’s deadly pressure paid no mind to Jose’s guard and sliced right through it.
Helton was able to protect himself from Lovato’s submission attempts until the final 30 seconds when Rafael wore out the Brazilian and finally got the match-winning submission.
175lbs Black Belt No-Gi
– John Combs (Easton JJ) def. Aaron Wilson (GDBJJ) via arm-in guillotine
A brilliant comeback match for John Combs – one of the most entertaining grapplers in the world. Wilson brought the fight to John, and the match proved to be one of the most entertaining of the night. Unfortunately for Aaron, midway through the fight, he stuck his neck out for one second and that is all it takes for Combs to snatch your neck. Win by “Combatine”.
In one of the biggest upsets of the year, 20YO Elisabeth Clay quickly disposed of 2x IBJJF world champion Luiza Monteiro.
The match started with the Alaskan pulling guard and Monteiro trying to knee-cut her way past Elisabeth‘s defense. In an early exchange, while passing from a standing position, Luiza exposed her leg and Clay immediately took advantage of this by grabbing the Atos athlete’s limb in the outside ashi position. Monteiro appeared somewhat hesitant in her defense, not attempting to clear her knee-line. As a last resort, Luiza tried to roll out, but the brown belt had a nasty bite on the ankle already and the tap was inevitable.
Although unexpected, this result came as further validation to the Ares athlete who is having an outstanding 2020.
165lbs Black Belt No-Gi
– Chris Orozco (Travis Moore BJJ) def. Christopher Hargett (Six Blades JJ) via kimura
165lbs Black Belt Gi
– Thomas Montoya (Gracie Allegiance) def. Brian Pierce (Gracie Barra) via Peruvian necktie w/ lapel
175lbs Black Belt Gi
– Angel Lopez (Halo JJ) via Reinaldo Villa (Johns Gym) via decision
140lbs Black Belt Gi
– Fernando de Jesus (GFT) def. Vinny Saenz (Lovato JJ) via split decision
185lbs Black Belt Gi
– Manny Gonzalez (Ralph Gracie) def. Charles Hiersche (CTA) via armbar
205lbs Black Belt Gi
– Jorge Perez (Zombie Krew) def. Luciano Ferreira (Kimura) via decision
185lbs Brown Belt Gi
– Tainan Dalpra (AOJ) def. Ed Johnson (Easton BJJ) via armbar
150lbs Brown Belt Gi
– Julian Godinez (Terra Leon BJJ) def. Manuel Aguilar (GFT) via Estima lock
205lbs Brown Belt Gi
– Dominick Williams (Twin Wolves MMA) def. Maxwell Da Trindade (Kimura) via Cachecol choke
170lbs Brown Belt No-Gi
– Tory Russell (Lovato JJ) def. Michael Lugo (Gracie Tampa) via decision
155lbs Purple Belt Gi
– Nicholas Fernando Martinez (RPBJJ) def. Zach Kaina (AOJ) via decision
175lbs Purple Belt No-Gi
– Bryan Scambler (ARES) def. Christopher Creamer (Brasa CTA) via decision
135lbs Purple Belt No-Gi
– Jacob Norton (10th Planet) def. Ben Willeford (Strong Style) via armbar
140lbs Purple Belt Gi
– Dylan Nguyen (Lovato JJ) def. Joshua Woosley (Luling MMA) via choke from the back
180lbs Purple Belt No-Gi
– Matt Kopra (Folk Jitsu) def. Ray Pina (Ares) via decision
210lbs Purple Belt No-Gi
Owen Papworth (BTT) def. Randy Wright (Terra Leon) via straight ankle lock
155lbs Purple Belt No-Gi
Evan Kotzur (10th Planet) def. Chase Dunlap (Checkmat) via split decision
200lbs Purple Belt No-Gi
James Tyson (Lovato JJ) def. Ramiro Leon (Renzo Gracie) via calf slicer