Maria Malyjasiak, often referred to as “Marysia” Malyjasiak is a Polish-born Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Abmar Barbosa, and a Pan American champion in the sport, having also an extensive curriculum in judo where Malyjasiak served as a National Polish Team Squad member. Maria is widely regarded as one of the top super-heavyweight competitors of her generation in jiu-jitsu.
Maria Malyjasiak Jiu Jitsu
Full Name: Maria Malyjasiak
Nickname: Marysia, which is a friendly Polish way of saying, Maria.
- F2W Middleweight Champion (2021)
- F2W Welterweight Champion (2020)
- 1st Place IBJJF Pan Championship (2018 / 2022)
- 1st Place IBJJF Pan Championship NOGI (2018** / 2021)
- 1st Place IBJJF European Open (2023)
- 2nd Place IBJJF World Championship (2018 / 2023)
- 2nd Place IBJJF World Championship NOGI (2018 / 2021)
- 2nd Place ADCC Championship +60 KG (2017)
- 3rd Place IBJJF World Championship (2021)
- 3rd Place IBJJF World Championship NOGI (2017 / 2021*)
- 3rd Place IBJJF Pan Championship NOGI (2021*)
- 3rd Place UAEJJF NA Continental Pro Championship (2018)
Main Achievements (Masters):
- 1st Place IBJJF Masters World Championship (2021**)
Main Achievements (Colored Belts):
- 1st Place IBJJF Pan Championship (2015 brown)
- 1st Place IBJJF World Champion No-Gi (2016 brown, 2013 purple)
- 1st Place IBJJF European Open (2012 blue)
- 2nd Place IBJJF World Championship (2017/2015*/2014 brown)
- 2nd Place IBJJF World Championship No-Gi (2016* brown)
- 3rd Place IBJJF Pans Championship (2017 brown, 2014 purple)
- 3rd Place IBJJF World Championship (2015 brown)
- 3rd Place IBJJF European Championship (2012* blue)
Main Achievements (Judo):
- 1st Place U20 Poland National Championship (2007)
- 1st Place U20 International class A (2007)
- 1st Place U17 Poland Judo National Championship (2005)
- 5th Place U17 Olympic Hopes International (2005)
Favorite Position/Technique: Lasso/Spider-Guard
Weight Division: Peso Pesado (79,30 kg / 175.0 lbs)
Team/Association: Abmar Barbosa JJ Association
Maria Malyjasiak Biography
Maria Malyjasiak was born on March 2, 1989, in Gdansk – Poland where she grew up, spending her time between Gdansk and Gdynia.
Martial arts became part of Maria’s life during her early teens. More specifically from October 2002 when Malyjasiak moved to a new school where the PE teacher was also a judo instructor. After being introduced to the coach by a friend who already practiced the Japanese art of throwing, Malyjasiak decided to join. Something she enjoyed from the very get-go.
Judo became a big portion of Maria Malyjasiak’s day-to-day life early on, with her hard work and talent shining through and reaching an international level by way of the national Poland squad. A team for which Malyjasiak played as a U17 and U20 athlete.
In 2011 Maria was informed of a jiu-jitsu tournament in Warsaw, POL where the winning prize was an “all expenses paid” trip to Abu Dhabi to compete in the UAEJJF World Championship. Malyjasiak had never won anything more than a medal in judo and thought it was worth her time. As she didn’t know the rules Maria trained jiu-jitsu exclusively for 2 months prior to the event, an effort that led to her 1st gold medal in this sport.
The thrill of winning the big prize from a grappling tournament at the UAEJJF Abu Dhabi Pro Trials led Malyjasiak towards jiu-jitsu. She eventually quit judo to focus all her efforts on her BJJ progression. Once again Maria’s hard work and talent rose above and in just one year she was promoted to purple belt.
In October 2013 Maria traveled to the United States for a competition. There she met Abmar Barbosa, a jiu-jitsu black belt with which she started a relationship. As the two grew fonder of each other Malyjasiak started spending more time in the United States than in Poland, ending up earning both her brown and black belts from Abmar – the latter earned on July 4, 2017.
Maria Malyjasiak Takedown