Juan Lopes da Silva is a Brazilian jiu jitsu black belt under Victor Hugo, being also the head coach of Prime Team – a grappling association in Duque de Caxias – Rio de Janeiro. A successful competitor in both the adult and master divisions of our sport’s tournament circuit, Lopes’ many victories inside the mats earned him a placement on BJJ Heroes’ 2016 End of Year Ranking of jiu jitsu’s top athletes.
Juan Lopes Jiu Jitsu
Full Name: Juan Lopes da Silva
- IBJJF European No-Gi Open Champion (2017)
- IBJJF Rio Winter International Open Champion (2016)
- IBJJF Rio BJJ Pro Champion (2016 Master 1)
- IBJJF Rio Summer International Open No-Gi Champion (2016)
- IBJJF Rome International Open Champion (2017)
- IBJJF Curitiba International Open Champion (2016)
- IBJJF Masters Worlds 2nd Place (2018 Master 1)
- CBJJ Brazilian Championship 2nd Place (2016)
- IBJJF Rio Summer International Open 2nd Place (2016)
- IBJJF Masters World Championship 3rd Place (2017)
Favorite Position/Technique: Half Guard
Weight Division: Peso Galo (57,50 kg / 127.0 lbs)
Team/Association: PRM Team
Juan Lopes Biography
Juan Lopes was born on July 2, 1985 in Duque de Caxias a city on Guanabara Bay in Rio de Janeiro state, southeastern Brazil.
At the age of 13 Juan decided to start practicing a sport. He was extremely active as a child and had the realization that if he could channel that energy into something productive he would excel at it. He found that focus in jiu jitsu (1999).
Victor Hugo was Juan’s first and only coach, guiding the rooster-weight from white to black belt in a 10 year period, a career filled with sporting success which eventually drove Lopes to lead PRM Team (Prime Team) in Duque de Caxias.
Throughout his grappling career Juan Lopes managed to sustain a profession outside the sport/martial art while being successful both as an athlete and a coach. Something outside the norm in the world of modern day jiu jitsu.
Cover photo by Marco Aurélio Ferriera @ArenaBJJ
Juan Lopes vs Rodrigo Silva
Juan Lopes vs Luiz Andrade