Nathiely Karoline de Jesus is a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Cícero Costha, being also one of the top grappling competitors of her generation, a reputation earned during Nathiely’s purple and brown belt campaigns when she earned 5 World titles, 1 Abu Dhabi World Pro, 1 Pan American and 3 Brazilian National titles for the PSLPB academy. In 2018 Nathiely (then residing in the United States) switch camps, signing with Soul Fighters.
Nathiely de Jesus Jiu Jitsu
Full Name: Nathiely Karoline Melo de Jesus
Nickname: ‘Nathy’ – which is short for Nathiely.
- 1st Place IBJJF World Championship (2017 / 2018*** / 2019**)
- 1st Place IBJJF World Championship No-Gi (2016** / 2018)
- 1st Place IBJJF Pan Championship (2018)
- 1st Place IBJJF European Open (2019**)
- 1st Place IBJJF American Nationals (2016**)
- 1st Place UAEJJF Grand Slam – Rio de Janeiro (2016)
- 1st Place UAEJJF Grand Slam – Abu Dhabi (2017)
- 1st Place IBJJF Rio Fall International Open (2017)
- 2nd Place IBJJF World Championship (2018*)
Main Achievements (Colored Belts):
- 1st Place IBJJF World Championship (2015 purple, 2016** brown)
- 1st Place IBJJF World Championship No-Gi (2015** brown)
- 1st Place UAEJJF Abu Dhabi World Pro (2016 brown)
- 1st Place IBJJF Pan Championship (2015 purple)
- 1st Place CBJJ Brazilian Nationals (2014 / 2015 purple, 2016 brown)
- 2nd Place IBJJF Pan Championship (2016* brown)
- 2nd Place IBJJF São Paulo International Open (2015* brown)
- 3rd Place IBJJF World Championship (2015* purple)
- 3rd Place IBJJF Pan Championship (2015* purple)
- 3rd Place CBJJ Brazilian Championship (2014* purple)
- 3rd Place IBJJF São Paulo International Open (2014** purple)
** Weight and absolute
*** Absolute title awarded after being removed from fellow finalist due to PED usage.
Favorite Position/Technique: Lasso Guard
Weight Division: Peso Médio (74kg/163.5lbs)
Team/Association: Soul Fighters
Nathiely de Jesus Biography
Nathiely de Jesus was born on February 10, 1996 in Itapira state of São Paulo – Brazil, though she grew up in Embu das Artes, also in SP.
Struggling with her weight and consistently falling ill with bronchitis, at 13 years of age Nathy sought out medical advice, where jiu jitsu was mentioned to her as a way to improve her quality of life. Following her doctor’s orders she enrolled in coach Claudio Felix’s academy, an affiliate of Lótus Clube – a famous gym in SP’s area.
Nathiely progressed through the belt system, earning her blue and purple belts from Felix. Though she practiced jiu jitsu primarily for health reasons, de Jesus slowly started gaining interest in competition. This interest increased after visiting her boyfriend’s academy (Manuel Ribamar), on December 2013. Ribamar trained at Cicero Costha‘s gym (Projeto Social Lutando Pelo Bem), where Nathy found a very different environment from where she trained, much more intense and competition driven.
The beat down undertaken at Cicero’s class was a wake-up call for Nathiely, who then decided to switch jiu jitsu camps. At PSLPB her skill level grew exponentially, reaching the podiums of the sport’s top tournaments, this included her brown belt run, when she earned double gold at the IBJJF World Jiu Jitsu Championship, being promoted on the podium of the prestigious event (on the 3rd of June 2016) by coach Cícero.
In 2017 Nathiely moved to the United States of America, settling in the state of Texas. After many years struggling to find the group to train with, de Jesus decided to settle with Soul Fighters – one of the strongest grappling teams in the world.
Nathiely de Jesus vs Samela Shohamy